July 21, 2009

Square One Dining

My sister just returned from camp, and one of the first things out of her mouth was "I already decided, I need eggs benedict tomorrow morning." Obviously I took this as an opportunity to do a little breakfast joint hunting in the neighborhood.

I am usually not a big breakfast eater at home; not because I don't like breakfast, but because I LOVE breakfast too much. As in, I need to go get my breakfast somewhere that can make two eggs over easy with homefries and a side of bacon well and in a timely manner because I know I can't always wake up and do that for myself. While I dabble in the occasional greek yogurt/granola/honey mixture, I will always choose savory over sweet. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance to find a cool breakfast place.

A few of the best reviewed Hollywood breakfasts, like Little Dom's on Hillhurst which I've been meaning to try, didn't feature a classic benedict on the menu. Thanks to the hordes of people who take Yelp seriously, I found Square One Dining, a joint in the hood that is very dedicated to their eggs, and make several different kinds of benedict. They open early and only stay open until 3 pm, if that is any indication.

Even though it was very hot, we sat outside because the patio was so enticing. Here's my sister Natalie on the patio: Natalie's classic benedict was well prepared. It added a bit of arugula to the traditional combination of bread, canadian bacon, poached egg and hollandaise sauce, which was a welcome touch. The eggs were cooked perfectly, with the right amount of runniness without being too gooey. The thing I liked best was that Square One is not ashamed to admit what makes breakfast, albeit just about every food so good--butter. A small bit of butter was served with her dish, which she proceeded to pour on top of her grits (love grits) and eggs. No shame. Everything looks a bit more yellow than normal because we were under a yellow umbrella.

In an attempt to remind myself why I commit "carbicide" (I swear the only term I will take from Bruno into reality) many days of the week eating egg-and-cheese-on-a-bagel from the place near my apartment in New York, I ordered an egg sandwich with tomato, cheddar and bacon. I feel like this is something I would not have ordered prior to living in New York, but now I am a cheap deli fiend, so a gourmet version of my usual hangover cure is more than welcome. It was delicious. Fluffy eggs, juicy tomato (they are in season and so good), melted white sharp cheddar and last but not least bacon on toasted white bread. Heaven. Served with a salad, a weak attempt to make you feel better about yourself.

Check out Square One's ode to eggs and other breakfast and lunch goodies here

Square One Dining
4854 Fountain Ave, 90028
(323) 661 1109


Until Lunchtime,

Nosher

2 comments:

  1. i remember getting eggs benedict at campo and recieving (literally) hard boil eggs with a hollandaise hat. gross. this place sounds amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I've got a soft spot for the B.E.L.T.

    ReplyDelete