July 3, 2009

Everything is Better with Salt

...especially chocolate.

The other day my dad went to Cheebo on Sunset for lunch, and saw a tiny sign for a chocolatier next door, with no window. Like any good dad with a chocolate-loving wife and daughter, he inquired and saw that it was open. I will update this post again once I have actually gone to the store, but this chocolate was too good to wait. Apparently the chocolate is manufactured on site. My dad walked right into the factory and watched as the chocolate was being made. There was a small display case, and after my dad tried one, he took some home to their hungry owners.

John Kelly Chocolates:All of the chocolates were good, but I was compelled to write about them because of the chocolates with salt on top. Every winter my mom sends me an entire box of peppermint bark and it lasts about two weeks between my roommate and I. Recently she switched from Williams Sonoma peppermint bark to Enstrom's (which also has amazing toffee by the way), and I find that it's a bit better because it has those perfect little kernels of sea salt dispersed amongst the peppermint chips on top. Well John Kelly seems to know this secret too, because a few of his chocolates had sea salt artfully sprinkled on top of the chocolate. All of these chocolates are truffle chocolates. My favorite one was the truffle chocolate with caramel and Hawaiian sea salt: Ever wonder why chocolate with nuts is so successful? its because of the salt! duh! So this is the gourmet version of the snickers flavor palette...but still far from it. The sea salt adds this bite that magically enhances the taste of the truffle. It's like all of your taste buds are being satisfied at once. Seriously--go to this place if you like chocolate at all. Still searching for some salty chocolates in New York...


Nosher

1 comment:

  1. BUT MY QUESTION IS DOES IT COMPARE TO CADBURY'S "CRUNCHIE," CADBURY'S "TWIRL," OR CADBURY'S "WHISPA" ??? I'm guessing YES, to the latter two, which are salty and flakey and very very british tasting, and NO, to the first, which with its golden honey combed centre really cannot be beat, even though it comes at a mere 30 pence a bar (at the right location).

    ReplyDelete