July 15, 2009

Perfect Food Day

Every time I come home from college, I have to have my perfect food day. It has become comfort food to me--not comfort food in a "grandma's beef stew" kind of way, but as comforting as having two of your favorite meals in one day can be when you have looked forward to them for a long time (answer: very).

Lunch at Yuca's, Dinner at Katsu-Ya

Yuca's is "my" taco stand. Every southern Californian has one, whose honor they fervently defend against claims of other better or "more authentic" stands/trucks. I have become THAT girl...but I don't really care, because Yuca's really is the best. All of my friends in New York know about it without having visited; I am physically incapable of eating any mexican food without mentioning it. I'm sure it gets pretty annoying. (But seriously, tacos in New York just don't compare. Sorry, Taqueria on the UWS). And anyone who has ever visited me in LA has tried it--it's a signature part of the Nosher experience.

Case in point: here is my friend Isla trying her first Yuca's: Yummmmm

#1 rule of eating at Yuca's: order the cochinita pibil, which is slow roasted pork. If you don't order this, you are not my friend. The tacos are superb but sometimes I get the pibil burrito with cheese, because the pinto beans and the melted cheese go so well with the ridiculously juicy pork. Also, the burritos don't have rice, so it isn't inedibly large.

A cochinita pibil taco at Yuca's, served with onions and cilantro: No sauce, just juice! The meat speaks for itself.

On to Katsu-Ya.

To clarify, I am not talking about the Philippe Starck designed, paparazzi mecca and megaclub of a sushi restaurant version of Katsu-Ya. More power to them for turning their little gem in between pet stores in a strip mall into an empire, but I will stick to the original Sushi Row location on Ventura. (Okay, I lied--I also go to Izaka-ya, same menu location on 3rd St., but only because it has a the same casual atmosphere as the original. Minus smell of pet store.) My mom found Katsu-Ya years ago when it was first starting; she would go before picking me up from elementary school nearby. Like Yuca's, I have an allegiance to Katsu-Ya, a place where my younger palette developed over time. I could say that familiarity makes the food taste better, but really it just tastes great to begin with.

I have by now memorized the entire menu at Katsu-Ya and of course have some favorites. I die and go to heaven every time I have the creamy rock shrimp tempura: The perfect combination of hot, crispy, and creamy.

Their trademark, crispy rice with spicy tuna, which they did before everyone else: The jalapeno adds the perfect bite.

The baked crab roll in soy paper: Heavenly. There are appropriate times for seaweed, but I love soy paper for these kinds of rolls. Because it is served warm, seaweed would get soggy and be messy to bite. The softness of the soy paper goes better with warm rolls, and manages to keep everything intact.

Another one of my favorites is their Red Snapper sushi. Red Snapper is my favorite sushi fish, and it is best (in my opinion) when prepared with sea salt and lemon juice, with a sprig of mint in between the fish and rice. It is a traditional way to eat Red Snapper, and it is SO GOOD.

Almost everything I have tried at Katsu-Ya has been top notch, but some other things to look out for are:
Bonito Sushi (dont dip it in soy sauce!)
Albacore with Crispy Onion
Grilled Shishito Peppers
Uni Tempura
4 1/2 Roll
And of course, the basics are always fresh--Yellowtail, Salmon, etc. Just look at the specials on the menu--get Sockeye Salmon or Toro if they have it.

There is a reason why Katsu Ya is so popular. It is good. Really good. The fish is fresh, and the dishes are inventive. The quality stretches from traditional sashimi to strange concoctions that surprise your taste buds. There is something for everyone, though for some reason when I eat there I think they are catering only to me.


Yuca's
2056 Hillhurst Ave, LA 90027
Side note: on Saturdays they have tamales
(323) 662-1214

Katsu-Ya
11680 Ventura Blvd., LA 91604
(818) 985-6976

1 comment:

  1. Yuca's!!!

    Your blog is looking great. Keep up the good eats. Hopefully I can nosh at one of these delicious looking places next time I'm in the LA. Can't wait to hang out!

    Long live delicious tacos!
    -R

    ReplyDelete