September 21, 2009

Providence Chocolates

Right before I came back to school my parents celebrated their 29th Wedding anniversary at Michael Cimarusti's two-star Michelin restaurant Providence. I've never been but my parents have and they rave about it--just a fantastic dining experience every time. They brought home a box of chocolates that were too beautiful not to share. My sister and I devoured them too fast for how pretty they were, but I managed to snap a few pictures first.

Even the box was beautiful:

And the 12 mini works of art:
The flavors were very unconventional and exciting. Some of my favorite chocolates are those with tea-infused ganache--flavors like jasmine, earl gray and darjeeling work so well with dark chocolate--but these pushed the boundaries a little bit more. My favorites were the chocolates that incorporated spices (we know this works from Mexican staples like molé), like the Dark Chocolate Baharat with cinnamon, pepper and chilies (bottom right corner) or the Milk Chocolate Coffee Urfa with Turkish urfa chili (bottom left corner). Some of the fruitier chocolates were interesting as well, even though they're not usually my preference--there was a Kalamansi (tropical lime) Mint White Chocolate (top row, second from left), and an Apricot Saffron White Chocolate (top left corner), both great combos.

I have to apologize for this post being merely mouthwatering eye-candy without any immediate satisfaction of being able to order it/going there to eat (Michelin star = $$$), but keep a look out for similar flavor combos next time you're fiending for chocolate.

NOSHER

1 comment:

  1. For a lower-budget yum-fest you should really check out Jin Patisserie on Abbot Kinney in Venice, CA. Their chocolates are equally beautiful and (being a tea-house) the tea-infused varieties are delicious... not to mention the spicy varieties and fruity what-nots.

    ReplyDelete