August 29, 2009

Welcome Back to California

I'm back in America.....well, I have been for a little bit, but I've had a hard time convincing myself to do anything other than lie and swim and catch up on tv shows, relishing my last few days of summer. That and technology has become a bitch lately, as iPhoto decided it would not cooperate with the hundreds of photos I needed to upload.

Anyways, I spent a few days lounging around my house recovering from jetlag, but my real homecoming came when I went to visit my friend Lara in Newport Beach. She took me to this great new fish joint, Bear Flag Fish Company. Lara just returned from a semester stint in Berlin, so her need for some good SoCal coastal seafare was just as strong as my need for tacos (what else). The result? Fish Tacos, of course. Mmmm these tacos were good. A mild white fish crisp on the outside but moist and flaky on the inside, topped with purple cabbage slaw, salsa fresca, pink sauce, and gotta have that avocado. Nothing makes a fish taco like avocado. One of the best things about the taco was the tortilla--while it technically a soft taco, the tortillas were more than warm. They were cooked a little bit overtime, probably in the slightest amount of oil, so they were slightly crisp. This added a nice texture to the taco as well as providing more support for the overflowing contents inside of it. It was a great touch.

We also split a seared ahi tuna sandwich. Oh man this was good too. The baguette was really nice and fresh--the perfect combination of crispy softness that a baguette should have--and garnished with lettuce, tomatoes, and this nice green and red onion mayo spread that went really well with the ahi. I salted it a little bit, but all in all it was great, fresh flavor (...and who am I kidding, I salt almost everything).

If you're in Newport for a beach day, definitely stop at Bear Flag for lunch. Their fish is top quality, and they have a great variety, from tacos to sandwiches to crab cakes to lobster. Yum.

Bear Flag Fish Co.
407 31st Street
Newport Beach, CA 92663


Nosher


Sorry for the delay...but in the next few days I'll be posting a full account of my Southeast Asian gastronomic adventures. Keep a lookout!

No comments:

Post a Comment