October 1, 2009

Billy's Bakery

The other day my friend James took me to Billy's Bakery after we visited some galleries in Chelsea. Damn James! Now I will never be able to resist a giant slice of cake in the middle of the day next time I'm down there (which is often for an art history major).

The bakery is a slice of small town charm transported to the middle of New York. It feels like you've stepped into another world--a great world that smells like butter and frosting and cake batter! It's got a charming vintage feel, with floral wall paper and old signs hung on the yellow brick walls.


I ordered a slice of carrot cake before I noticed there was a cupcake version...whoops. It was a huge slice!

But so delicious. The cake was really moist and the frosting not overly sweet or cream cheese-y. They also sell these small bottles of local Ronnybrook milk in whole, skim, or chocolate. And it comes with a good deal: a slice + a bottle of milk for $6. The same goes for the cupcakes for $4.

James got a vanilla cupcake with buttermilk frosting. It was beautiful!

I like these cupcakes much better than Magnolia's (gasp!). Theirs are just way too sweet and buttery, and I can barely even finish a single one. Billy's cupcakes balance the sweetness well, with just the right amount of comfort but not to the point where you're regretting indulging after you take the first bite.

Next time I want to order a cake or some sweets for a birthday or another occaision, I'm definitely going to order from Billy's.

Billy's Bakery
184 Ninth Avenue (Chelsea)
&
75 Franklin Street (Tribeca)


Nosher

1 comment:

  1. just wanted to let you know that you are the most consistent blogger i know, which i admire a lot, whereas i have just started blogging after more than 7 months away.

    ReplyDelete